Tuesday, November 23, 2010

i Simplfy: Pt. 2

As I shared in my very long introduction post, I am doing a big clean out of our home. Going through room by room, drawer by drawer, closet by closet, and getting rid of any excess or unused thing I can find. Why? To get rid of the clutter that has taken over every hidable space we have. But more importantly, to simplify.

Clutter makes life more complicated. It takes a simple task like hanging a picture and turns it into a project. By the time I have found the nails, the hammer, and the masking tape (we have plaster walls that will shatter without tape) I can't remember where I put the frame down. Which sounds like a memory problem, but is another side affect of clutter. It's a proven fact that clutter affects your thinking, productivity, relationships, and your health. Check out this article I found on line. De-Clutter Your Brain.

My progress...

I started in my two younger kids' rooms and am now working on the kitchen and have gotten rid of the following.
  • 5 bags of clothes to be donated to Big Brothers, Big Sisters
  • 2 bags of toys
  • 2 bags of garbage

These amounts amazed me. Like I said, this was all basically from closets and drawers. I still have a ways to go, but I can feel the difference when I walk in their rooms.

I'll update again soon.

Kristin :)

3 comments:

  1. Morn' Kristen, good luck! I deal with clutter with 13 Thursdays here: http://kimmirich.wordpress.com/2010/09/13/thirteen-thursdays/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link and the great idea. As soon as my major clean out is finished I'll try this with my kids to help maintain a clutter free house :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please keep us posted, Kristin. My decluttering is having to wait until the vertigo is under control, so any tips you can offer will be appreciated. Thank you for leading the way.

    ReplyDelete