It's the eve of the eve of New Year's! The time of year when we reflect on the past and look forward to the future. Many people set their new goals now. I am not a big resolution person, but it is as good a time as any to refresh and refocus my goals. So here goes...
In the coming new year I'd like to...
- Spend more quality time with my family. Not just the drive by eating and relaying of important information time that we pass for as being quality. Real, memory making moments :)
- Take another cross country train trip, which would also help with the above goal.
- Set aside my own time for writing everyday and then unplug all outside distractions. This also includes unplugging that nagging inner voice that says I should be doing anything but writing.
- Start seriously researching and seeking representation. Realizing that this is a big ole publishing world was the first step, now it's time to get help navigating it properly.
- Read with more attention and write with more passion.
- Expand my writing, not only in genres, but in subject and character exploration also. I want to learn more with each story and eventually write books with deeper emotions and meanings.
- And finally, I want to follow Rita Mae Brown's great advice and work harder than I hope for all of these things to happen this year.
And in the true spirit of New Year's Resolutions I will toss in a few that I'd love to see happen, but won't hold my breath. Kind of sacrificial resolutions ;)
- Exercise more. This one has a 1/2 a chance of happening since we now have Wii Fit. It's fun to compete with the kids and doesn't feel like you're working out.
- Be more consistent with my blog. Especially my Memoir Monday posts. I love doing them, but have a hard time finding the time every week. Might be reasonable to make this a monthly event.
- Spend less time on Twitter. This goal should be in the above list, but I am weak ;) I will make a real effort to only Twitter after writing.
As far as last year's goals. I can't complain. With my family I grew and learned more about myself and my roots. With my first book I learned what I'm capable of and where I want to go next. Not bad if I do say so myself.
What are your goals/resolutions for 2010?
Thanks for all of your support and comments in 2009. It means a lot to me that you would share your time and thoughts with me. I hope we all continue to share with each other in the future.
Happy New Year! May it bring you all love, health, and success!
Kristin : )